The IT woes of a Construction business
Many people in construction enter the trades because they love working with their hands. They may even have affinity for the traditional construction practices of the olden days. Field Staff at constructions companies may resist adoption of technology and Architects may have their preferences. Expense of technology may be met with scepticism, but once implemented, technology can be leveraged to create efficiencies, increase profits and reduce costs over time. There is no wonder why the cost of construction keeps going up and up.
Here are a few common technology problems that construction companies face:
1. Unnecessary travel between construction sites and the office. One of the biggest waste of time and money for a construction business is traveling to worksites.
2. Unreliable mobile devices that work well with each other. Construction companies need to adopt the Work Anywhere approach across the whole business if they are to succeed in a connected and ever changing world.
3. Manual invoice processing - The invoice processing steps can vary across different companies – depending on the size of the organisation, the type of invoices, whether the invoices are electronic or physical, etc. In some cases, the invoice handling process exceeds fifteen different steps before the invoice can be considered completely processed, which can be inefficient and very time and resource consuming. Usually the larger the company, the more complicated the invoice processing, and certain types of organisations also typically deal with many more invoices than others.
4. Outdated Printing and Scanning Equipment making it hard for staff to stay Paperless. On top of that all the printers may be unmanaged and wrong for the application. Also many businesses have problems getting a handle on the printing costs and lack of imaging equipment where its needed and having it easy to use.
5. Internet connectivity may be very difficult on worksites. Construction sites often have poor Wi-Fi or Mobile connectivity around the worksites making it hard to use technology to improve performance.
6. Lack of construction site visibility to assess areas of the construction hard to reach or being short on time to walk around to assess and very difficult to inspect roofing and assess it from a birds eye view.
7. Lack of digital signature solution to allow for singing off legal construction and approval documents. Both in the work sites and in the office the multiple handling of legal documents by printing and scanning can waste very large amounts of time.
8. Lack of BIM and BIM visualisation tools to see the finished product before its completed, started or during progress.
Unified Communications for Construction
Our Microsoft Teams or RingCentral solutions tailored to the needs of Australian construction companies and will help take your team out of the office and into the field to be at the construction sites.
Video Conferencing for all staff & with your clients on projects
Team sites for each construction project to collaborate with client and staff.
Cloud Telephone number with headset & handsets where required for all staff.
Rich Chat features to collaborate via text between staff, Teams & even clients on projects.
Access to this system across all devices at any time.
Great project management tools with Microsoft Project platform.
Computers for Construction
Some construction professionals prefer using Apple products and some Microsoft either due to their app requirements or their experience. Book us in for a tech consultation to discuss further.
Our range of Surface Products on Cyberstore will excellently fulfil all your construction computing needs and we can match it with rugged cases for the field. Learn more.
Our Apple computers offer greater security than Surface if you are familiar with Apple devices and it suits your business. They are an excellent high quality device that will perform over long time. We can then match it with rugged cases for the field. Learn more.
Lack of collaborative software makes it hard for the architects and construction site staff to address changes on the fly. Book a Technology Consultation at no cost to discuss your requirements & come up with a better apps mix
We have some IT Support sessions available for casual setup and support. Book an IT Session.
Invoice Processing Automation
What is automated invoice processing?
Involves the implementation of specialised software that can automatically perform many of the tasks associated with the process of transfer of data from invoices to into the accounting system.
Benefits of Invoice Processing Automation:
Cost Savings - The costs of processing invoices manually can be very high. It is estimated that processing a paper invoice can cost anywhere between $8 and $60.
Time Saving - Software solutions for automated invoice processing can eliminate many tasks, such as routing, classification, validation, and manual data entry.
Error Reduction - With automation software, error rates are minimised, preventing all types of error-resulting issues, such as delayed approvals, time spent on searching for and correcting mistakes, as well as loss of discounts
Staff Satisfaction - Employees responsible for data entry or validation can be liberated from these tedious tasks.